Thursday, April 12, 2012

Newbie needs a good Assassin build

[:1]Okay, so I don't know much about assassins at all. I've just read some stuff, looked at other builds and the skills, and decided on a rough build of my own. I want a strong martial arts assassin to beat Hell mode in single player, with ordinary items. Here is my draft build:

20 - claw mastery.

20 - tiger strike.

10-20 - burst of speed.

10-20 - weapon block.

+ prerequisites.

The reason I don't want to do phoenix strike + an element, is because in Hell mode one of the bosses will just be immune to it, which is a waste to me. With the above, I'll be super fast all the time, doing massive physical damage and blocking frequently. It seems straight-forward. And if a boss happens to be immune to physical, I'll have 1 skill point in phoenix strike + my merc for that.

But I know that there are people who know heaps more about the assassin, and the above was just an idea. Can anyone help me with a good build, and give reasons for the skills? PS: no traps, I want to be a combat assassin.

Thanks!|||I'd also add dragon talon or dragon tail, so I can hit multiple targets.. as you can see, I've got no idea what's best for an assassin.|||Dragon Talon is a single-target attack like Tiger Strike, but with it you can use items with "Chance to Cast" spells for area of effect damage. Think "Rift" or "Voice of Reason" runewords, or the unique Scourge "Stormlash". Of all of those, VoR is by far the cheapest, by the way. "Rift" is very achievable though (the highest rune is Gul, which can drop from the Hellforge in Hell).

I have very little in the way of PvM Martial Arts Assassin experience, but I think Dragon Talon is probably your best bet. I'm levelling a DTaloner now for high level PVP, actually. Check out this build writeup and the resulting discussion for some ideas.

Also, one point in Burst of Speed is generally quite enough. +skills from your gear will boost it to good levels from there.

gl hf |||Well..

20 - claw mastery.

20 - tiger strike.

20 - dragon claw OR dragon tail?

1-11 - burst of speed.

10+? - weapon block.

+ prerequisites.

Dragon claw gets stronger from the claw mastery, but it's single target.. is it worth it? Or is dragon tail better, because of it's fire and splash damage? I'll leave burst of speed on 1-11, depending on how fast I want to be. And weapon block I'm unsure of - is it a good skill to put heaps of points into?

-confused face-|||Well, consider your needs in order to choose your skills:

- You need a primary powerful attack.

- You need a secondary attack to deal with enemies who are immune to your primary attack.

- You need some form of blocking, be that shield or weapon block.

I think it's important to make a basic decision on whether you want to use dual claws or claw or weapon/shield.

Frankly, I would recommend weapon/shield and Dragon Talon as your primary attack, and Lightning Sentry/Death Sentry as secondary attacks (I know you said no Traps, but I think you'll be very slow without them). This looks like the best setup for PvM to me. Doing this means you won't need to worry about Weapon Block or Claw Mastery, you can have a more reliable block, and generally overall better defenses (Jade Talon is the best you're going to get for defensive off-hand claws; compare this to Stormshield).

If you are really keen on dual claws and Dragon Claw, I recommend giving this a read. If using dual claws, you will want to put points (maybe 10?) in Weapon Block. If you go w/s, leave Weapon Block alone, of course.

Venom is also a great skill. I would put as many points in it as I could, regardless of whether you pick Dragon Talon or Dragon Claw. Venom will be a significant help.|||Hmm. Well first of all, it's going to be single player and without any good equipment. I read the 'The Aggressin' guide you suggested, and found it pretty interesting.. what if I made a build:

20 - claw mastery.

20 - tiger strike.

20 - dragon claw.

1+ - burst of speed.

1 - dragon talon. [prerequisite]

1 - fade. [prerequisite]

All remaining points - Venom.

No points into weapon block, because dragon claw is two attacks and with weapon block they get interrupted. I would have huge base physical damage, attack rating and speed. If I ever come across a 'physical immune' boss, I would have ALL remaining points into Venom as a backup. And I'd have a good merc, which I'm still thinking about.

Would this work to get through Hell mode?|||Oh and yeah, I want to be claw/claw.|||Death Sentry (DS) is a fairly essential part of any assassin's skill spread (just as CE is for the necro) and you're going to struggle without it. People can have fun playing pure Martial Arts builds but seeing as you've never played an assassin and don't have any good gear it's maybe not the wisest choice.

Having no claw block would be extremely silly. It costs no stat and minimal skill investment while blocking a whole lot of damage (unlike normal blocking it can block some spell missiles). (Scrap that) Venom will definitely help, but taking out physical immunes using only that is going to be tedious (if not impossible) at times. Something to take note of: While charging up with T-Strike you don't receive any (skill-based) enhanced damage (ED) bonus except the ~130% from mastery, and when you release those charges with D-Claw it only applies to the first attack and not both swings.

I'd recommend you follow the main Aggressin build, maybe splitting your spare points between T-Strike and DS to make it more MA-focused. Put most of your points into C-mastery and D-Claw initially, get all the essentials like block, mind blast and cloak of shadows along the way but be sure to get about 5 points in DS as soon as you hit 30+.|||With DClaw and some charges, Weapon Block is detrimental.|||Phoenix strike is the way to go with an untwinked MA assassin. Just maxout the fire and lightning synergies for two elements. Much cleaner than hoping for high damage weapons or speccific crushing blow drops. Most other MA assy builds have difficulties with immune enemies or untwinked play.

Something like:

20 PS

20 FOF

20 CoT

Teleport attack and prereqs

Shadow master and prereqs

Fade and prereqs

Extra points in shadow master

Most fun build in the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment